My apologies for sending it off-list first, iPad MUAs are a PITA, unfortunately
Linux based tablet PC can't be used for making music.

On 05 Oct 2016, at 04:05, Xen "questioned" the way things are managed system
wide and per user. I recommend to do either a minimalist Ubuntu install, e.g.
use the server image and uncheck all recommended package groups, then start to
install and set up everything on your own, if you install packages disable
everything that gets autostarted, or install Arch Linux. My everyday Linux is
Arch Linux, but to help Linux novices, I also installed a minimalist Ubuntu,
that fit to my needs. Everything you questioned isn't worth questioning, you
could set up a Linux install, in a way that it will fit your requirements.
Sure, fstab, is fstab, is fstab, even not required by systemd, but fstab is a
cross-platform approach, system wide for good reasons, that doesn't mean that
you couldn't set up individual automatically mounted devices per user. If this
would make sense or if usage of permissions would be the better approach, is
something to take into account. Anyway, Ubuntu's policy is user-friend
 lyness, so a default Ubuntu install tries to provide, what is expected by the
majority of computer users. Arch Linux is not user- friendly, at least not for
the mentioned target group, it's user-centric, in the sense of expert-friendly.
You cannot change _quasi_ UNIX/POSIX alike behavior and common things such as
the way fstab works. You cannot blame Linux for the policy of a distro. You
cannot blame a distro for the policy it does chose.  You could ask Ubuntu to
provide some features for inexperienced users or you could become more familiar
with Linux and user space and set up everything exactly the way you want. JFTR
fstab is used by the system, before it's clear which user or users will start a
session. There's an order for mechanisms that are well-wrought.

Regards,
Ralf