> On 05 Oct 2016, at 14:41, Oliver Grawert <o...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On Mi, 2016-10-05 at 04:05 +0200, Xen wrote:
>> In terms of logging: why is there not a daemon that can run for a
>> user
>> specifically?
>
> there is ... see ~/.xsession-errors and ~/.cache/upstart/
> (and there will be a systemd one as well, once switched to systemd user
> sessions)

Not to mention that there at least is one daemon that should run with user
privileges only:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man1/jackd.1.html

>> Why is there not a user fstab in which the user can specify mounts he
>> or
>> she wants to use? It is possible for libpam-mount but not for
>> regular
>> fstab.
>
> simply because nobody had the balls yet to switch a system completely
> to systemd.mount units i guess, but also because it is a security
> nightmare to allow people to randomly mount/umount system disks

That's why I mentioned privileges. It's possible to mount all available devices
by fstab, but only to grant privileges per user, let alone that some people
don't use fstab at all on systemd installs.

Regards,
Ralf