On 10/05/2011 10:47 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 05, 2011 09:30:22 PM Sebastien Bacher wrote:
>> To take an example I think porting universe GNOME2 applets to GNOME3
>> wouldn't be a good use of our time, we better spend the resources we
>> have making sure our current desktop version is great.
>> If some people want to work on porting the applications they care about,
>> great, otherwise the source can be dropped and will come back once its
>> upstream or somebody else pick it up and update the code.
>
> I think Gnome2 -> Gnome3 is an exceptional case where that is particularly
> true.  In general either all that's needed are rebuilds or digging for
> patches.  I think if we're going to do a transition the developer needs to at
> least follow through and try to deal with Universe and file bugs where things
> fail.  I don't think just fixing Main and then saying "Meh, Universe,
> Whatever" is appropriate.

We do have more "exceptional cases" like compiler and linker changes, other
major version changes which are better handled in that the proposed way forward
is announced (apologies if I did miss it for Gnome2, I only did see the release
goal getting gtk2 off the images).  The removal of the GNOME2 applet related
packages was done, which is fine, although I assume that some effort went into
attempts to fix things before the removal of those packages.

"all that's needed are rebuilds" is a lot to do, and it doesn't help if major
changes are still done after the last test rebuild.  This cycle's example is the
change in gtk/gnome's pkg-config files moving libraries from the Libs to the
Libs.private attribute, resulting in build failures (no, we don't know which
ones are not yet detected, how many, etc, libgnomeprintui still not fixed).
Such a change is appropriate before feature freeze, but not after.  I'd like to
challenge the general freeze exception for Gnome and KDE for the LTS, if changes
like this are more or less blindly applied, even if these are found in upstream
release candidates.

  Matthias