On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 12:02 +0000, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 11:36 -0500, Francis J. Lacoste wrote:

> > > So I think the kernel is probably good for visibility, it certainly
> > > isn't worthwhile from a "people are going to start using bzr to develop
> > > the kernel" sort of thing.
> >
> > It's more than for visibility, having an import of the kernel is a
> > prerequisite for doing udd and daily builds with it.
>
> Would it perhaps be an option to have the import system only import e.g.
> only 1000 revisions at a time? This would make the memory leaks less of
> a problem, and it should make the scheduling of code imports a bit
> fairer, since large branches would not keep the system busy for a long
> time.
>
> The overhead of resuming an existing import should be relatively small.
Another advantage that such an approach would have is that imports for
which one of the last few steps in the process fails (such as creating
the branch after fetching the revisions) would not have such a burden on
the system as they have now as there are at most 1000 revisions fetched
per time for broken imports. E.g. if importing revision 121453 of the
Linux kernel failed then the system would only repeatedly try to fetch
revisions 121000 to 121453 a couple of times before giving up
completely.

Cheers,

Jelmer