Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 11:36 -0500, Francis J. Lacoste wrote:

>>> So I think the kernel is probably good for visibility, it certainly
>>> isn't worthwhile from a "people are going to start using bzr to develop
>>> the kernel" sort of thing.
>> It's more than for visibility, having an import of the kernel is a
>> prerequisite for doing udd and daily builds with it.
>
> Would it perhaps be an option to have the import system only import e.g.
> only 1000 revisions at a time?

Well, yes, I guess that would be possible.  It would also be possible
for bzr-git or even bzr to do this as well -- currently we have real
problems with the amount of memory bzr serve processes use...

> This would make the memory leaks less of
> a problem, and it should make the scheduling of code imports a bit
> fairer, since large branches would not keep the system busy for a long
> time.

It would also need some work so that we don't publish an import until
the import actually finishes, I think that would be quite confusing.

> The overhead of resuming an existing import should be relatively small.

Yeah.  Let's talk about this in Wellington if we don't get to it before
then :-)

Cheers,
mwh