> > Most educational institutions, government agencies, and corporations are
> > easily reachable by phone or email, making them a considerably more
> > accessible target than then general public.  I say this mostly from
> > experience in working with K-12 and Higher Ed clients to promote various
> > proven teaching technologies.
> >
> > That said, what is the Marketing Team's stance on targeted Email, Phone,
> > and face-to-face contact?  Should a spec be written for "Ubuntu
> > Marketing Account Executive," including associated specs for "Ubuntu
> > Marketing Campaign-in-a-box," "Ubuntu Marketing Kit" or some such thing?
> >
> > I believe there needs to be a turnkey "Ubuntu Advocate" solution for all
> > of the folks out there who are nuts about Ubuntu, yet aren't computer
> > gurus (like myself.)
> >

> I understand the question, and slightly wonder what some implications
> might be - an apparently formal label/title provides a useful status,
> but also an implied need for initial approval (?)

Anybody from Canonical willing to weigh in on this point?  What is a
desirable level of approval before some schmoe like me slaps on an
Ubuntu polo shirt and shows up at the Dean's office?  You (Canonical)
have got to want to maintain some level of control, but for volunteers
like me, putting up posters and handing out CDs isn't cutting it.

> There is also the situation of follow-up. I am also nuts about
> K/Ubuntu and if I can encourage any new users, corporate or otherwise,
> I do. However, if an organisation became interested, I might need more
> resource than my (non professional experience) enthusiasm.

Right on.  Is it possible for volunteers to present themselves as both
credible *and* unofficial?  When a new contact gives Ubuntu a try and
wants to set up a meeting with their Technology Coordinator, what
then?  This would be a huge step in the path toward adoption, but it
would be wasted if the right person weren't available (in person) for
technical questions.