On Tuesday 20 May 2008 21:02:14 Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:
> Hello Marketing Team Members and Interested Parties,
>
>  I'd like to report on the session we had here at UDS regarding Ubuntu
> Marketing so that we can get a wider audience and allow everyone a fair
> chance to share their ideas, point of view, or prospective solution on the
> undeniable reality that the way the current marketing team is setup simply
> isn't working. I know a number of us have been putting effort lately into
> re-jump starting the team or furthering specific marketing initiatives but
> because there has been a lack of an individual who has stepped forward to
> clearly champion Ubuntu marketing, not much progress has really been made
> in terms of making the team as a whole useful again. There is certainly no
> shortage of great, creative ideas... we just need to figure out how to get
> things moving - getting the ideas off the idea board and into production.
>
>  This inconjuction with the observation that most loco teams seem to be
> doing an excellent job doing local (also known as "street") marketing, the
> idea was put forward to disband the marketing team as we know it and move
> to a decentralized model where loco teams collectively makes up the
> "Marketing Team". Before you object on principle, ask yourself "What is the
> purpose of the marketing team?", "What should it do?" and I think that
> you'll see that the loco teams are the ones that are clearly fullfilling
> that role already.

While LoCo's in populated areas may be flourishing, some of us in the flyover
states of the US have bit more of a problem.   I was hoping that the
marketing team would act as a conduit to bring ideas and resources from large
LoCo teams to small ones.

>  Another idea put forth was seeing Canonical hire someone to lead the
> marketing team while maintaining a model similar to the one existing.
> Marketing is a huge job and it is completely understandable why there is no
> one to step forward and why previous teams leaders have either burnt out or
> became busy with other things (Such as myself with Xubuntu and being a
> MOTU). If Canonical were to hire someone, they would have to be hired to
> fill the role of the community marketing team leader and not employed to
> promote Canonical or its services. For the individual to be useful and
> effective, they must simply be any regular, old community contributor who
> just happens to be able to fill that role with the support they are
> recieving from Canonical. Jono said that he was unsure if this would be
> able to materialize due to Canonical growing so fast in so many directions
> but we did learn from the Mozilla folks at the session that having
> someone(s) hired to work on the marketing seemed to be instrumental in
> generating the required momentum. Another interesting tidbit was that Jono
> said that if a marketing iniativie requires funds or resources (that are
> unreasonable for the loco team or individuals on the project to be able to
> obtain easily or via a bit of elbow polish) that they could contact him and
> he'll be able to assist them (ie. he'll get his wallet out... erm, as in
> he'll act as a liasion to get sponsorship from Canonical).

That does solve part of the problem and would be quite helpful.

>  A third option was to rebuild the marketing team using a similiar model to
> the current one but sourcing a "loco team marketing contact" from each loco
> team to build the new marketing team. Possible leadership for this new team
> discussed was the loco council.

This will work well for the larger LoCo teams, but smaller ones like
Nebraska's will have problems filling yet another position.

>  So, what is your opinion? Thoughts? Concerns? Ideas? Personally, although
> I was put off by the idea of disbanding the marketing team as we know it
> currently, once I had sometime to think about it I've come to think that
> maybe that would be a good idea. We certainly have to do something and I'm
> happy, as one of the last active marketing team admins, to faciliate what
> ever we decide to be the best course of option.

I'd prefer to have another try at the team with a volunteer or paid
coordinator.

One function I'd like to marketing team to provide is to connect people with
ideas. (Dave has an idea for an Ubuntu poster that could be hung up in
schools, but no gimp skills)  with skilled volunteers (George is gimp wizard
and is looking for project to work on)   Another thing I'd like to marketing
team to do is facilitate some small scale gatherings to share marketing ideas
between LoCo's or other interested parties using the BarCamp model.

>  Big thanks to Jono, Nick Ali, members of the Firefox/Mozilla teams, and
> other community contributors who took part in the UDS session.
>
>  To conclude, I'd like to note a point that was brought up durring the
> session. People seemed to think that Canonical was an authority when it
> came to marketing Ubuntu and that everything has to be approved by them.
> Jono clarified this: "Canonical is NOT an authority on marketing Ubuntu
> besides protecting their trademarks". So, please don't let that thought get
> in your way - we as the community have the power to make community
> marketing of Ubuntu successful and effective; it isn't Canonical's
> responsibility. :)

That's very important for a volunteer in the central US to hear, because I've
been under the impression that it's the other way around.  We need to get
that message out to all the community.

Cheers!

Dave Thacker
Admin, Ubuntu Nebraska LoCo Team