> I would draw attention to the nature of much of the marketing creative
> and effort resource - it certainly has a central objective. Canonical
> and the wider set of volunteers have strongly overlapping objectives.
> However, the factors of geographical location, local culture and
> circumstances, and local flavour of motives, are all key factors which
> will fuel the effort at ground level, in the 'wild', the wider world.
> I believe the work will be done by self motivated volunteers. My
> experience of volunteers is that they will go a long way to do what
> they want to do, and not nearly as far to do what somebody else wants.

This is the niche I believe a Marketing Team has to fill.  Autonomy should
exist at the local level, but if someone new wants to start or gain access
to a local chapter, then the Marketing Team should be there to fill the
niche with information and kits about how to get started.

> I really think the use of bumper stickers would be very effective in
> UK from about now. I am fascinated to find that the only bumper
> stickers which seem to be available are way too big for most UK
> (European?) vehicle bumpers. I have had to cut somedown fo rmy own
> use, but a cut sticker can look poor quality unless great care is used.

Alan brings up an interesting point, and this is a firm example of why I
feel somewhat listless in the direction of Marketing the project.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=738134 : This is a simple vinyl
sticker I made that obviously mimics the white logo of another hardware and
software manufacturer.  Virtually everyone who chose to look at it felt that
it could be worthwhile to produce for evangelists of Ubuntu.

Unfortunately, I have tried several times to contact someone at Canonical to
seek approval of this type of usage to no avail.  We could be out there
scanning the bumpers of cars during rush hour, looking for that "secret
handshake" that shows we are all a part of something we love...instead I get
dead air from our commercial sponsor who needs to have input on the matter.

Marketing needs leadership.  We need people responsible for working with
Canonical to establish coordinated marketing efforts and to ensure the
grassroots movement is armed with easily accessible material to make
launching a LoCo a snap. In essence, we need to stop treating the Marketing
group as a hobby full of buzz words and promises and start treating it as
seriously as product releases.

Thanks,
John