John Botscharow wrote:

[...]

> That is EXACTLY how I see the leadership role of the team.

>What concerns
> me is the leadership within the team. We cannot lead Ubuntu marketing
> until we have some leadership of our own to keep us on track and moving
> forward.

I believe we can.
I do not need someone to tell me how to move forward or where to,
although other may want that for themselves.

It is useful if minds and motives and directions are alike. A leader
is hardly going to change that.

The meeting was arranged, and took place without an elected leader.
People attended because they wanted to, not because someone told them
to. Someone had to arrange it, that is not necessarily a job of a
leader. It is the job of whoever is good at doing the organising and
communicating about it.

If this group has a number of active participants, then  they form a
de facto 'steering' or if you like 'leadership' group. This has its
own leadership, and it is the sort that is self powering.

Is an elected leader going to ask (you) to stop doing something you
are keen to do? Are they going to urge you to do more of something you
are already keen to do? Exactly how would an elected leader operate,
and for what benefit?

I have doubts about the real value of an elected leader in such a
group as this. However I have no doubts at all about the value of
leadership itself, and leadership activities. When these appear, and I
like them, I will react positively, election or not.

--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391