On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:56:02 -0500
"John Vilsack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The different extremes being voiced seem to be, "Ubuntu Community
> Marketing will fail without leadership as it has before" and
> "Leadership in FLOSS will kill individual initiative".  Why can't we
> think in terms of grey versus black or white?

I disagree here, John. The difference here is "do it now" ot "let it happen on
its own/"

> Yes, leadership naturally separates itself from the pack to assume
> roles of responsibility and with that comes the personal feeling of
> success or accomplishment.  But how many open source projects fork at
> the first lack of consensus?  If open source directives are truly
> free, then you are always going to have opinions that disagree
> regardless of how loud they might be.

Leadership rose, like cream, to the top at the meeting - the people that showed
up - but then "do it later" set in.

> Ubuntu allows for anyone to contribute and that holds true for us as
> well as it does for every other aspect of the project.  Like the
> core-developers team, a proposed core-marketing team would help
> determine our priorities, oversee tools and repositories to ensure
> that new contributions are added regularly to our "distribution" and
> be there to report back to the group instead of expecting everyone to
> listen to a cacophony of minutiae concerning each task.

I agree and it should have happened at the meeting - the core marketing team
was there. See above comment.

> I still firmly believe that each change in direction, each major
> undertaking should seek consensus from the group.  Each new person
> joining our team should always have the freedom to do as much (or as
> little) as they want in whatever areas that they want.  All leaders
> should be responsible for making the things that we need the most
> help with more visible to those new users, so they can come in and
> make an immediate impact because they have direction and know what
> needs to be done.

As I have said earlier, consensus is a nice idea. but sometimes, and the
meeting was one, you have to take the bull by the horns. We didn't and I fear
we will pay for that omission before all is said and done.

> PS:  I think it would be remiss for us to begin listing off C.V.s and
> historic accomplishments as a means to justify our opinions.  Some of
> the smartest people I have met in my life, and some of the ones who
> have made grand contributions throughout history have done so by
> taking their first steps.  We should judge based on initiative and
> talent, not bullet points.

If it is done for self-aggrandizement, I agree. But in the context of what Onno
and I were discussing - the fact that our different backgrounds make for
different perceptional frameworks, I think it was not only appropriate, but
necessary.

- --
Peace!

John