John Botscharow wrote:
[...]
>To think that we can do effective marketing without
> leadership and structure is. to repeat myself, quite naive and will
> result in this team accomplishing nothing but lots of conversation.

I have been doing effective marketing without an elected leader in
this team, so you see I do not have the same view.

I note there is a difference between acts of leadership and an elected
leader. Do you have in mind that part of the future structure here
would include an elected leader?

Without an elected leader here I have been in touch with canonical on
occasions and used resources lent by them at my request. If I can do
such things, then so can you John or anyone else, it does not 'need'
an elected leader, and I will not stop doing what I want to do until
we have one, and I find it hard to imagine what advantage I would see
from an elected leader. There may even be disadvantages.

Suppose John that you were the elected leader? What advantage would
there be? Why could you not state your views now without being
elected, and If I am inspired by them I would follow. You do not need
to be elected unless you want to use a level of coercion to be invoked.

> I apologize if this offends anyone, but like I said, this situation is
> very frustrating.

It does not offend me, I understand your frustration. I urge you to
consider that you have a great deal of power at your disposal as an
active member of this list, whether or not you see an elected leader
emerge.

I put a question - how far would you follow a leader if there was a
directive with which you disagreed? I would follow a little way, but
not very far. I believe, I know, that aspects of leadership can
emerge, without a situation of formal election.

I am in favour of the marketing team getting organised, starting with
objectives, then moving to achieve the objectives. I do not find the
idea of an elected leader in this type of group a compelling one.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391