Just to weigh in briefly on this discussion, as an outsider to the
team but as an observer for some time and with some experience of
various teams growing up around the Ubuntu community.

I think that one of the messages that Ruben has identified is
definitely a valid one: that you don't get leaders in this community
by appointment at the outset of a project. People grow into leaders
and get recognition and validation as leaders by doing good work and
leading by example. What the marketing team very clearly needs is some
focused and achievable tasks which are done regularly (producing
materials, updating the pre-release feature documents, etc etc). I
think that a leader will grow out of the team once that is done. There
are plenty of good people on this list and plenty of people doing
great marketing work in local community teams so I'm confident that
that will happen when some focused projects are established.

With that in mind I'd encourage Paolo during the meeting to set out
what he's done with the Italian Marketing Team because this is a good
example of identifying focused projects, and addressing them. The same
applies to others with similar initiatives in other local teams.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org