2009/11/3 John Vilsack <vils...@gmail.com>:
> My ideas on the matter are very similar.  There is no need to
> "appoint" people into roles of leadership.  If people want to sign up
> to be leaders, then they should be welcomed with open arms.

Well, I think as a general proposition that this, without more, is a
bad way to appoint leaders in any community, whether a democracy or a
meritocracy as ours is.

But I don't think your email is in the wrong direction generally: we
seem to agree that the key is to develop a focused and well defined
set of aims and projects. I think the key to giving the team structure
is to define its projects better, because people have a lot of ideas
on this list and they need to be channelled into a concrete direction.
I would suggest that the team get together to discuss requirements
that each project should have, a process for discussing and approving
them, people involved, and then most importantly, implementing them!
That will ensure that each project that the team works on will have a
focus and definition. Again, I'm deriving this from watching the
Italian team do the same thing, pretty successfully, in similar
conditions.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org