Hey Roscoe,

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 21:33 -0700, Roscoe wrote:
> I still say that until there is the Ubuntu ad that pops up on the
> television set whilst *joe public* is watching it, we will be fighting
> constant uphill battle.

Because it wouldn't work. Even if we had a perfect advert that was
attractive and lustful. We're not in a position to serve the general
public directly yet. We don't have enough businesses and experts in the
community ready to help people.

Adverts may help push things, but we're talking about a small effect and
the price will be massive. More money that we have available to us.

> Regardless of how hard we try, our number of users raving about Ubuntu
> will not be able to surpass the numbers of viewers that will see an ad
> on TV.

I don't know of any science that shows that, things that are passed
along by word of mouth can be quite successful. Especially where the
people who are passing it on can offer physical and material help
directly.

Our best bet is not to quest for a silver bullet that we are ill
prepared to fire, but to equip the people who adventure into the
wilderness with good knowledge and a basis for helping or even starting
a business based upon converting people to Ubuntu or dual boot setups.

> So, all this being said, perhaps it is time for Canonical to step to
> the
> front of the bus, fund an advertisement and campaign internationally,
> and let we, the little people, run with it from there.

Canonical will not at this time pay for an advert in the United States.
It's a bad choice of medium (fairly ineffective) compared to radio and
word of mouth, expensive and it takes a long time to take hold. (read:
very expensive). If I _were_ going to do adverts I'd pay for them in
countries where it would have a good effect and where I'd prepared some
sort of response to demand.

I'm quite thankful Canonical hasn't wasted money on a television advert
so far. but perhaps I could convince you to help us with other
marketing?

Not ideas, we have too many of them, but work. Are you up for some work?

Martin,