Can we use a scratch pad to start off with and then perhaps move to
something more structured later? I really liked the gplv3 comments
software, I thought that was very cool, but it's hard to find/setup. I'm
not using the right language in searches, can anyone else find some web
software which allows users to make changes to a document just like a
wiki, but instead of it effecting the master document it simply goes
into a branch of it which is easily viewable?

+1 feature for having commenting directly tied to parts of the text too.

Martin