Rhoads, Rob wrote:

>>> I was told by Intel management that the Canonical Lexington team, as
>>> part of their support for your customer, would be support this
>>> driver on the customers HW. If that's wrong now would be the time to
>>> correct this misunderstanding. The problem with this driver is that
>>> the vendor providing it is unwilling to support it, at this time, on
>>> 2.6.22 or beyond nor are they willing to support it on SDIO.
>>>

>> right now, airdio, a partner of marvell, is working on porting the
>> sd8686 v9 driver to 2.6.22.  once that work is done and acceptable to us,
>> we'll need to get this
>> version into the gutsy ppa.
>>
>> i started the porting work by diff'ing the current version of
>> the driverin gutsy to the v9 driver source that
>> i downloaded from marvell.  my intial changes were sufficient to build
>> the driver, however i didn't do
>> any actual testing.   i passed my initial diffs, my notes, and my
>> patches to airdio.
>>
>> now that the new sdio changes are available from moblin.  we ( the
>> lexington team ) need to make sure
>> there are no regressions before asking amit to push both the new sdio
>> stack, and the modified sd8686
>> driver into the gutsy ppa.  at the same time, we also need to send the
>> updated version of the sd8686 driver
>> to airdio, so they can make the same changes to the v9 driver.
>>

> The driver I've been talking about was the new 8688 driver, not the 8686
> one. After we have the 8688 driver integrated in moblin.org, we'll
> update the 8686 driver to the latest code we've received from Marvell,
> which I believe it v9.

ok.

i just want to re-iterate that airdio ( they make the part being used by
our customer ) is currently working on porting the v9 driver to gutsy as we'd
been told several times that intel would not be doing this work.

they told us that they'd have a first-pass done by 12/7 and the work
finalized by 12/24.

i'm questioning this schedule somewhat as they do not yet have the new
SDIO patch(es), and thus will need them before they can deliver us a
final version of the driver.

in order to avoid duplicate work, it might make sense for your team to
work with airdio on updating the driver to v9.

i can get you contact info for airdio if you'd like.

>> We will provide the initial port of the SDIO WLAN & BT (8688 only)
>> drivers from 2.6.22 to 2.6.24, but don't have the resources or expertise
>> to really support them. Which is why we need the OSVs to help out here.
>> We're still working on the schedule for porting/moving all of our
>> moblin.org kernel patches from 2.6.22 to 2.6.24, when we have the
>> schedule we'll be sure to publish it to the team.

so to be clear, you're going to port/move all of the moblin.org kernel
patches *except* the 8686 driver?  if so, would it be possible to help
support airdio if they were to do this work?

thanks,
/tony