Hi,

i also have a tablet pc - a hp 2710p - which has a keyboard.
I don't use ubuntu-mid on it. It is powerful enough to run full gnome
and I need lots of gnome apps that are not yet available in a hildonized
flavour. With a 12.1" screen and global menu applet it is quite usable.

However the issues you see are almost the same for me as I dislike
turning the display every time I boot. ecryptfs is not secure enough for
me so I use dm-crypt for /home, /tmp and swap

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 02:46 +0000, Ramaddan wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have been using Ubuntu Mobile for a while, and happy with it, and
> even updated it to Jaunty.
>

> It fits better with the Tablet PC than Ubuntu-Netbook.
>

> Thanks to all those who made this available.
>

> I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following:
>
> 1) I have an idea of how to make "xvkbd" come up at login, since I
> need it for a Tablet PC with no keyboard.
>

> However, what I currently do is anugly hack as follows:
>

> sleep 5 && /usr/bin/xvkbd -geometry -10-10 &  # This is used for the
> xvkbd keyboard during login
>

> That I place before the "exit 0" line at the end of the following
> file:
>

> /etc/gdm/PostSession/Default
>

> However, I was wondering if anyone can give me a more proper way to
> achieve this, something that is more in line with what is actually
> happening when GDM is login.

I prefer cellwriter for input which has quite nice handwriting
recognition and a virtual keyboard. It lacks multilanguage support for
the virtual keyboard, though. I integrated it into gnome-screensaver,
through the appropriate gconf settings but for GDM this not possible so
the only way I know is like you wrote "the ugly hack".

> 2) This is kind of a long shot, but I was wondering whether there is
> any way of making the Touch LCD detect and work as Ubuntu is booting,
> and if a virtual keyboard could also be provided at bootup.

I think in console mode it is rather hard, but if you do it like me and
encrypt /home it would not be necessary to enter the password at boot
time but rather before login. tmp and swap can be generated
automatically at bootup with a random key.

> The reason I am asking this is that currently, due to the nature of
> Tablet PCs with no keyboard, I cannot encrypt the hardisk of the PC,
> because I will not be able to type in the password at log in.

So gdm needs 2 things to work better for us tablet pc users:
a) Better virtual keyboard support like in gnome-screensaver
b) A possibility to decrypt partitions before showing the login screen.

> Thus, Tablet PCs with no keyboard lose out on this security feature.

This is the reason (besides the price) I didn't go for a motion
computing le1700 but the hp instead.

> I would really appreciate it if anyone can give me any pointers or
> direction on this.

Sorry I can not be of much help :(

However I heard a while ago of a gdm rewrite going on with a clutter
interface and a nice face browser - if I find where this project moved I
may be able to address this on the wishlist.

If you need to enter the harddisk encryption prior to login there would
be another benifit: Fingerpint authentication which has the data on home
would be more secure - first because the signature file that holds your
fingerprint informations is encrypted and second because you need a
password first (2-way authentication if you will)

As we are already on topic of the input panels: there are plenty out
there and I think it would make sense for gnome to provide
hildon-input-method as a general way for them to input text (which also
allows popping up the panel if needed (when you select a edit or text
box) and otherwise disappear. For example a floating panel could look
like the new notfication bubble - visible when active and only 10%
visible when not in use. combined with him you could have various
keyboards as plugins. Just a thought.

   --- Mike
--
Michael Flaig <mfl...@pro-linux.de>