Ramaddan wrote:
> Yeah, I'm facing what you are facing, and thought of the same features as
> you, and even contacted the CellWriter author about it before, and he also
> would like to have them, as well as fixing a docking problem CellWriter
> has.
>
> He even gave me a modified version of CellWriter without a number pad,
> because it was kind of redundant and takes space on a 10" monitor.
>
> Where do we go from here?

    There are, of course, lots of different things that could be done to
achieve the desired goals.

    One thing that could be done is to document the requirements and use
cases for such a pre-login virtual keyboard system as a spec (see my
previous email (1) for details).  I suspect that such a tool would be
interesting for accessibility purposes as well as for handling devices
with no keyboard (as a keyboard doesn't help if one can't use it
effectively), which might broaden the number of people interested in
working towards a solution.

    Once the initial overview and use cases for the specification are
completed, we can hold more discussion here, perhaps inviting other
parties who may be experts in one or another area (e.g. cellwriter, gdm)
to help understand what solution is required, and document that in the
specification.

    At that point, it's just finding a willing developer to complete the
necessary changes, although I'd expect them to be relatively slight
given the number of hits I get from a quick search on "GDM
Accessibility": it may be as little as tuning some compilation flags,
and modifying some configuration values.

1: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-mobile/2009-April/002440.html

--
Emmet HIKORY