On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 01:04:25AM +0900, Emmet Hikory wrote:
> Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 January 2010 09:03:35 am Stefan Potyra wrote:
> >> FeatureFreeze is less than a month away, so the discussion over
> >> restaffing the current MOTU Release team, which is a short of members
> >> [1], brought up the topic how best to deal with release decisions in
> >> light of Permissions Reorg.
> <...>
> > motu-sru and ubuntu-sru merged into a single team.  I've had a couple of
> > conversations with people in terms of doing something simllar with motu-
> > release and ubuntu-release.  I think it's the right answer.  So far it's
> > been
> > a matter of finding time to talk with everyone about it and decide what
> > should
> > be done.

>     Could such an item be added to the agenda of the next release
> meeting?  It seems like the various groups typically reporting there
> would be natural delegates for the various areas on which they report

If you mean that they should be delegates for all the packages related to
their teams, I don't think that's a good idea.  If not an outright conflict
of interest, leaving these decisions to the individual teams directly brings
the problem of myopia alluded to in my previous message.  The point of
having a team approve freeze exceptions at all, instead of letting
individual developers continue to upload directly to the archive, is to make
sure we're collectively on the same page regarding what should be going into
the release when; that means the people approving freeze exceptions for
packages that land on CDs need to have an overview of the release as a
whole.  I don't think per-team delegates are the way to achieve this.

> (and those groups that had historical delegates ought be encouraged to
> participate and report in that forum).

Unfortunately, the structure of the release meetings today doesn't scale
well to a large number of teams, and the length of the meeting is already a
challenge for scheduling.  Where there is a need for other coordination
within the release team, I would prefer to see this take place via either
separately scheduled meetings, or email.

slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org