The issue is not that any term that was used is offensive, it
is deeper subtlety that needs to be addressed.

As Scott has said, we had discussions about that before
and at the UDS to the point that there was the question
if there should be a second "MOTU" group for the KDE
packages in universe.

However, we have decided, and I believe correctly, that
this would not be the ideal outcome and hence there
should not be a distinction between people working
on KDE packages and other people.

I have also never heard anybody in the motu channel or
the motu ML that someone working mostly on Gnome
packages should go to a special Gnome channel when
they asked for mentorship to be a MOTU.

Let remember what we stand for in Ubuntu. Respect and
diversity. We are all working on a diverse set of packages.
In some areas it makes sense that certain groups focus on
a certain set of packages, however, this does not mean that
those people are isolated from the larger community.

I believe MOTU's purpose is to work on high quality packages
in the universe repo. Nothing excludes people working
a majority of time on KDE packages to do that. Hence
the suggestion not to be welcomed in MOTU because
of a preference or experience to a certain set of packages
is inappropriate and counter-productive. How should someone
get a broader horizon when he is sent away in the try to do so?

Remember, it was asked for mentorship for MOTU, not particular
questions for a Kubuntu package!

So please let's be mindful, that we are one big family and
that we are all following the same goal. We support each other,
we are inclusive, not exclusive!

Just my 2c!

Ralph (txwikinger)