Hi,

2011/12/10 Alex Lourie <djay...@gmail.com>:
> I have the following questions:
>
> 1. How long does it take to write something like that for someone who's not
> a programmer and have no idea about Cucumber or unit testing in general?
I guess, it should not take much time. The only rule to be followed is
'Action after When, Expected result after Then, Concatenation is And'.
Maybe, someone inexperienced in Gherkin could measure the time and
post results here? For instance, this conversion of DesktopWhole case
took about 10 min. for me.

> 2. How would one execute this in LiveCD environment?
Manual testers may use this as a usual test case. Whenever bug
appears, the tester may break the instruction, e.g.
---
When I double click 'Install Ubuntu' icon
Then Ubuquity starts  #here we can check main window etc.

Result: Ubiquity crashes with error 'ImportError:..."
---
> 3. Is it possible to run something like that in automated VM environment?
Yes, as there is nose framework plugin Freshen (see
https://github.com/rlisagor/freshen), which generates xUnit reports
from feature files. Another option is Lettuce (see
https://github.com/gabrielfalcao/lettuce)

All steps should be defined (using ldtp) in definition file(s), which
contain the actual automation code for each step, something like this:
-- from steps.py --
@step("I double click 'Install Ubuntu' icon"):
def double_click_on_ubuntu_icon:
 ltdp.double_click("btnInstallUbuntu");

Then, using steps definitions and scenarios, automation suite will do
the following:
a) create a virtual machine
b) start up from live cd
c) fire up LDTP server on virtual machine
d) connect to LDTP server and execute steps from scenarios
e) collect xUnit results and post them to CI (Jenkins)

I haven't tried this at home, so we should contact automation guys, as
they are using something similar for automation daily precise images
--
Vadim Rutkovsky