On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 12:35:21 +0200
Руаньяк <roig...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2011/12/10 Alex Lourie <djay...@gmail.com>:
> > I have the following questions:
> >
> > 1. How long does it take to write something like that for someone who's not
> > a programmer and have no idea about Cucumber or unit testing in general?
> I guess, it should not take much time. The only rule to be followed is
> 'Action after When, Expected result after Then, Concatenation is And'.
> Maybe, someone inexperienced in Gherkin could measure the time and
> post results here? For instance, this conversion of DesktopWhole case
> took about 10 min. for me.

As someone completely ignorant of Gherkin, it took me over 10 minutes
to read through this test case. In reading through, I attempted to
picture most of the steps, and found the flow doesn't work right here.
I test a lot of images, and I test images daily. This test is much too
specific. Also, it does not read well, from an english language user.
It reads much like something written by lawyers reads to the lay person.

I don't think I could actually write such a test case, in less than at
least an hour, and perhaps that is not enough enough time.

> > 2. How would one execute this in LiveCD environment?
> Manual testers may use this as a usual test case. Whenever bug
> appears, the tester may break the instruction, e.g.
> ---
> When I double click 'Install Ubuntu' icon
> Then Ubuquity starts  #here we can check main window etc.
>
> Result: Ubiquity crashes with error 'ImportError:..."
> ---
> > 3. Is it possible to run something like that in automated VM environment?
> Yes, as there is nose framework plugin Freshen (see
> https://github.com/rlisagor/freshen), which generates xUnit reports
> from feature files. Another option is Lettuce (see
> https://github.com/gabrielfalcao/lettuce)
>
> All steps should be defined (using ldtp) in definition file(s), which
> contain the actual automation code for each step, something like this:
> -- from steps.py --
> @step("I double click 'Install Ubuntu' icon"):
> def double_click_on_ubuntu_icon:
>  ltdp.double_click("btnInstallUbuntu");
>
> Then, using steps definitions and scenarios, automation suite will do
> the following:
> a) create a virtual machine
> b) start up from live cd
> c) fire up LDTP server on virtual machine
> d) connect to LDTP server and execute steps from scenarios
> e) collect xUnit results and post them to CI (Jenkins)
>
> I haven't tried this at home, so we should contact automation guys, as
> they are using something similar for automation daily precise images
> --
> Vadim Rutkovsky

While I realize that many of you are degree holders, community members
as a rule are users who decided to get involved in helping their
favorite software. For some, this is a way to give back for the ability
to use the software.

For the common user, these types of tests are not actually something
they can follow easily. The test cases as written, using steps, are
usable by all of us.

- --
Charlie Kravetz