Hi Andrew,

The iso is too big for a CD, so it need a DVD disk as well as drive to
work. But standard Ubuntu 13.10 is too heavy anyway for old computers,
and I recommend a flavour with a lighter desktop environment, Lubuntu or
Xubuntu for such computers.

I think the file system is ISO 9660, but the partitioning is special,
which might create problems in some environments. And there are
advantages with the partitioning:

a. It is a hybrid iso file, that works in a DVD drive as well as cloned
in a USB drive

b. The 64-bit system (not the 32-bit system) can detect and adjust to
the BIOS/UEFI setting, run live and install into new computers.

-o-

1. There is a Lubuntu 'live CD' iso file, a desktop installer small
enough to run from a CD drive.

2. If the computer is old or has too little RAM (512 MB or less) I would
recommend

2a. the Lubuntu alternate iso file or
2b. the One Button Installer

instead of the desktop (graphical user interface) installer. The One
Button Installer installs from USB (but can be helped via Plop in really
old computers).

There are extra difficulties with Mac systems, PowerPC as well as Intel
based Macs. I have no such computer and know little about it, so I hope
someone else can give you advice that is relevant for Macs.

Best regards
Nio