Hi again,

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 7:24 AM, Phill Whiteside <phi...@phillw.net> wrote:

> lubuntu would struggle at 128 RAM, Yes, it is possible if you use core and
> a minimal browser, Let me point you to
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590614&page=16&p=11832431#post11832431

Indeed Phill, that was my personal experience +3 years ago :D
And Yes, you can indeed install Lubuntu on 128MB RAM with the Mini ISO +
the core package - see:
http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2013/06/mini-lubuntu-part-2.html

But then, what will you do with that system? browsing? you will sure have
hard time as we all know Lubuntu is not super lightweight (not Lubuntu's
fault but from experience Ubuntu based systems are not super lightweight).

I have talked to many friends with very low hardware. They managed to use
Facebook but definitely not YouTube :)

In 2010, the machine that you referred to:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590614 had the very minimum that
can handle Ubuntu Core (Mini ISO). In 2010, the websites were not as heavy
and fully loaded as now. On that time, I couldn't open any website :)

But as I mentioned on my previous reply, if it is going to be for non-web
tasks, or a machine for experiment and/or learning, he is good to go :)

> Regards,
>
> Phill.

Thank you!

> On 8 January 2014 03:18, chris hermansen <clherman...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Andrew and list
>>
>> On Jan 7, 2014 6:16 PM, "Andrew Moore" <slew...@icloud.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > There were a few issues.  First of all, the ISO was downloaded with OS
>> X, which is not able to mount the image.  Evidently it is not in ISO 9660
>> format (which is readable by any OS)?   Secondly, the SHA256 checksum was
>> verified, but the resulting DVD could not be booted by the laptop (an
>> Inspiron 8200), and the laptop is not able (i.e., too old) to boot from USB
>> device.  DVD can be read once the laptop is booted with Centos 6.5.  Is it
>> possible that just as OS X is unable to mount the DVD, an older laptop may
>> be unable to boot it?
>> >
>> > The long and the short of it is that Ubuntu 13.10 cannot be easily
>> installed onto this laptop, which is unfortunate because it’s a great
>> machine.  Any plans for a LiveCD?  Any other routes to installing?  Thank
>> you!
>> > -AM
>>
>> I took a look at this machine on a few computer magazine reviews, which
>> show a typical config of 128mb RAM and a 40gb hard drive, as well as a
>> 1.6ghz processor.
>>
>> In my experience, this won't run Ubuntu; there is far too little RAM. you
>> may be able to get Lubuntu going on it but I would not count on it.
>>
>> If you want to try Lubuntu it should fit on a bootable CD-ROM.
>>
>> --
>>

> --
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw

Best Regards,