Nicholas, nice find!! I am familiar with booting devices via U-Boot, but not
with Grub.  The tutorial is what I was hoping for, thank you!

As an embedded-systems developer, I do most of my work on the command line.
Canonical is moving to fully support ARM and embedded systems, I understand,
but maybe the Desktop line is now legacy?
-AM

PS - Centos 6.5 is very usable on a 2 GHz Pentium 4 mobile.  Ubuntu less so,
though disabling compiz, et al. should help.  Either way, it has plenty of
power as a server.