On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Mark Schouten <m...@prevented.net> wrote:
> I'll try to use it for a while, see how it goes.

Thanks!

> Just a question though. Why is ctrl-a changed to ctrl-g?

On Ubuntu (and most Linux systems), the default shell uses emacs
keybindings.  As such, ctrl-a is very often used (if you're not an
emacs user) to move the cursor to the beginning of the line.

The default screen escape sequence, ctrl-a, breaks that.

We have had extensive discussions, and the consensus was that the
escape sequence would need to be changed.

We've settle on ctrl-g, which was proposed by Nick Barcet.  Perhaps he
can attest as to why ctrl-g was chosen?  Nick?

Perhaps we should conduct a poll in Launchpad?  I'd think that we can
change this escape sequence pretty much any time between now and
Jaunty's official release in April.  But I don't want to change it
more than once.

Shall we open the floor for other suggested escape sequences?  Please
explain your rationale for why your escape sequence is better than
ctrl-a and ctrl-g...

Cheers,
:-Dustin