On 16.04.2010 19:45, Douglas Stanley wrote:

> Isn't that more or less what happens when dpkg configures postfix anyway? Am I
> missing something that would make this task so difficult it's not worth doing?

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. postfix's configuration can be edited
with 'postconf' tool. Packages can't edit configuration files on
install, but they can use interface to configuration. postconf is an
interface to main.cf.

> I would vote for not shipping just an extra (potentially confusing)
> config in a package
> name that could also possibly confuse people, when there could be a
> better way to
> make it end user friendly.

So, dovecot now supports conf.d directory, in the same way apache or
amavisd-new have split configs. This allows us to have standard
dovecot.conf and then additional configuration overrides in
/etc/dovecot/conf.d directory. So, dovecot will read it's usual
configuration file that will include configs from conf.d directory. In
the same way it now uses dovecot-sql.conf or dovecot-ldap.conf. Does
that solves the issue? Note: upstream added this feature, not Ubuntu or
Debian.