I did a quick proof of concept to see how it would work to migrate it from
docbook to rst. The results are on my github [1]. It only took a few
minutes to figure out how to migrate the content. I can work on getting the
navigation working too if people like this.

If decide we want to do RST. I think we should follow the same style as
what opsschool [3, 4] did. They use sphinx [2] to manage the conversion to
html/pdfs and it looks really good.

[1] https://github.com/blkperl/ubuntu-serverguide
[2] http://sphinx-doc.org/
[3] https://github.com/opsschool/curriculum
[4] http://www.opsschool.org/en/latest/

~blkperl

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Peter Matulis
<peter.matu...@canonical.com>wrote:

> On 12/12/2013 04:03 PM, Jorge O. Castro wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Peter Matulis
> > <peter.matu...@canonical.com> wrote:
> >> This is mentioned at every UDS but no one ever steps up to do anything
> >> so we remain with XML.
> >
> > What's involved with this?
>
> 1. Ensuring the underlying source can yield HTML and PDF documents.
>
> 2. Convert *all* XML to the new format and then convert *all* of the
> latter to HTML *and* PDF and make sure *everything* looks right.
>
> 3. The toolchain needs to be understandable by mortals.
>
> (a) Will we lose "linkend" attributes?  That is, the ability to do:
>
> <para>
> If you are going to use LDAP to store Samba users you will need to
> configure the Samba
> server to authenticate using LDAP. See <xref linkend="samba-ldap"/> for
> details.
> </para>
>
> I'm not sure how these kinds of source links will end up after
> converting from XML to markdown.
>
> (b) There may very well be other things we need to think about.  I'm not
> an XML expert.
>
> > Sections 10 through 14 need to be rewritten for Juju usage.
>
> I don't see why not as long as i) we can achieve the same results in
> terms of an actual installation and ii) do not leave people scratching
> their heads.  I'm alluding to the fact that performing manual steps is
> part of learning the software's architecture and, in turn, is invaluable
> in how to maintain/administer the installation.  Since Juju replaces the
> manual steps the text would need to replace them with corresponding
> explanation.
>
> ~pmatulis
>
> --

Thanks,