The USB stick line of attack has happened, but usually involves ordinary
files attacking Windows machines via autorun. USB firmware attacks to
exist but are rarely used.  There is no way to reduce any risk in life to
zero.  Snowden was attacking the NSA itself, so yes he needed new
USB sticks and needed them sourced randomly with cash.

There is in fact the countevailing argument that every new USB device is
a threat, especially with the ever-growing firmware in modern machines.
Nothing in life is ever guaranteed. Hell, you could be hit by a car while
carrying that flash drive.

Security in the real world means stopping most attacks, not thinking you
are invincible. There's always a bigger fish in the sea,