On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 19:15:42 +0200, Set Hallstrom wrote:
> Because Ubuntu Studio is open, cares for freedom and strives for
> transparency, it's true that Ubuntu Studio offers
> better control over your privacy than proprietary operating systems
> usually do. Ubuntu Studio does not include software for encryption
> and/or anonymity, but you can and are free to install such tools.
> However, even when you use tools known to grant the strongest
> available privacy, there are still pitfalls.
>
> As soon as a computer is connected to the Internet, user errors and
> misunderstandings, can render even the strongest protections useless:
> Third parties not necessarily need to do something manipulative; a
> user's lack of knowledge can easily make sensitive information
> public, usage-patterns can easily make the origin of sensitive
> information identifiable and once such data is stored on the
> Internet, there's no way to control it.
>
> Journalists, activists or anybody else working with sensitive
> information should consider never connecting computers containing
> such information to the Internet. Engaging in media production that
> implies a high-level of threat is a very serious step that goes
> beyond the scope and purpose of Ubuntu Studio. To learn more about
> how to transfer sensitive information via Internet securely, you can
> start here: https://freedom.press/digital-security

I'm fine with this text, perhaps the link to links is not that good. I
suspect it's not that much related to Linux, e.g. the FSF link mentions
Enigmail.

Two important sources regarding the state of affairs are the CCC and
Schneier.

https://www.ccc.de/en/
https://www.schneier.com/

Those sources aren't good to learn about data protection, but to get
informed about what is going on.

Even the following services could be useful:

https://cve.mitre.org/

https://www.bsi.bund.de/DE/Service/Aktuell/Cert_Bund_Meldungen/cert_bund_meldungen_node.html;jsessionid=C6145B5A128FD1A3061BA23FB3D50B4D.2_cid294

https://www.cert-bund.de/overview/AdvisoryShort

Best practise is to follow security mailing lists. I'm not doing this,
but at least I'm subscribed to general mailing lists, were security is
more important, such as freebsd-questions.

I have serious doubts regarding security tips. It's better to be
informed about what is going on and to avoid computers for sensitive
data. How often do we read complains regarding sent mails that are
stored encrypted? There are too many security wholes, such as people
storing the mails they sent encrypted, as decrypted mails on their
computers and things like this.

Regards,
Ralf