On Monday 28 January 2008, Cory K. wrote:
> VSTs are completely proprietary and licenses are needed to use it in linux.

Looking at the README in the latest dssi-vst, it doesn't look like that's
still necessarily true:

dssi-vst: a DSSI plugin wrapper for VST plugins

[...]

The 0.5 release was the first to officially support the VeSTige
VST-compatibility header from Javier Serrano Polo (see
vestige/aeffectx.h).  With this header, you no longer need to obtain
the official VST SDK in order to build dssi-vst.  Many thanks to
Javier for publishing this fine piece of work.

[...]

Though this plugin requires WINE, and that sort of kills the "painless"
objective.  I've only managed to see this work once, but it did work well
when it worked.

Forgive me if this whole issue has been beaten to death ten times over, and
everybody knows dssi-vst is evil or whatever.  I really don't know a VST from
a VCR myself.  Everything I know about plugins comes from LADSPA and DSSI,
which I think are endlessly cool, even while I read Windows and Mac people
constantly ranting about how crappy they are.

--
D. Michael McIntyre