Hi Robyn

Very good initiative.  I recommend starting with parts of the GNOME
desktop environment.  That is the most important component of Ubuntu
from a perspective of translations.

As far as I can see there is no Bislama team in GNOME, so it would
have to be created.  Once the central applications in GNOME have been
translated, they will propagate to the next version of Ubuntu and you
can translate the remaining Ubuntu-specific parts.  Be warned that
this is a huge project, so you should always focus on the parts that
are most important for the users.  For example GNOME contains lots of
software development tools, but it is no use translating those if the
main interface (menus, etc.) are not.

Here is the information necessary to get started on GNOME (see e.g.
"Starting a team"):

  https://wiki.gnome.org/TranslationProject

Best regards
Ask