On 5/3/07, James Tait <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> With that all said, questions I think we could address initially include
> the obvious and you've already listed some of them:
>
>   - What is Ubuntu?
>   - What is Linux?
>   - I understand free, but what is Open Source?
>   - Will it work on my computer?
>   - Can I run my Windows software?
>   - Can I run my games?
>   - How do I get it?
>   - Will my hardware work with it?
>
> These are some of the questions I've been asked by various people not in
> the know -- my family, friends and neighbours.  I don't mind asking them
> what they would like to know about Ubuntu to give us something to go on.

And most importantly: Why should I use it?

Maybe before we decide what we want to tell people, we really need to
decide *who* we are talking to, and what we want to tell them as the
big picture?

I like the Ubuntu specification way of doing things. A bunch of Use
Cases may be ideal here:

- Grandma doesn't really know what a computator is, or what an
Internet is, but she hears good things on the TV and she wants to be
able to learn.
- Jeff is a father, and wants to buy a new PC for his kids. He's
really looking for something to help them learn as well as have fun.
And of course, he doesn't want to worry about maintaining the machine.
- Sarah works in a SMB, and is asked to look for cost effective ways
to integrate more technology. She's heard of this Linux thing, so
would like to know more.

I've only scanned over previous posts in this thread, so excuse my
ignorance if any of this has been covered already.

Kris