I have kept out of the way for a long time but I have now reached the
point where I must say something. Several years ago attempts were made
to get me interested in Linux with no success. After all, Linux was a
very complicated business, worse than DOS, well I thought so, which I
had left for Windows. I did not understand the words these Linux persons
used and so I stayed with Windows. Then, almost 2 years ago I heard
whispers about a system called Ubuntu and then I was shown a screen
which looked similar to Windows.

One thing lead to another and, in September 2005, I agreed to load
Ubuntu onto my desktop. I was pleasantly surprised and I agreed to try
to use Ubuntu. There were certain difficulties in being weaned from
Windows but I stuck with it and since then I have used no other.

Certain points emerge from this experience that I want to mention.
Firstly, there were no references to Linux until I was using Ubuntu.
Secondly, the fact of lots of free software, easily available, was
exciting and fired my imagination. As I got more involved, the ease with
which I could ask questions and get answers was a great experience and
quite suddenly I found that I could even make contributions which were
appreciated. The whole community thing I found very gratifying and,
despite times when 'upgrades' have caused me problems with the sort of
things I do, answers were always found.

I suppose I changed initially, not because I disliked Widows, but
because I enjoy a challenge. You know the sort of thing, mountains are
there to be climbed and something new is there to be tried. So, with
patience and help, I have become a died in the wool Ubuntu user. I am
not interested in names, I am not interested in Linux I use Ubuntu.

Norman