norman wrote:
> I believe that the very laudable efforts in promoting the use of Ubuntu
> need to be tempered with an element of caution. As far as I can tell,
> the server application is well covered and taken care of and my concern
> is with the desktop user, of which I am one.
>
> Presumably, one of the 'selling' points for Ubuntu is the frequent,
> availability of safety updates and the 6 monthly supply of an updated
> system, all for free. But, at some stage there is the need to be aware
> of the fact that these updates may cause problems as well as benefits.
> For example, take the case of the upgrade to Ubuntu 7.04. Those users
> who, like me, could be using Pan Newsreader (supplied with Ubuntu)
> suddenly found that, with no warning, the software had been radically
> changed.
>
> Look at the situation - a fair bit of time has been spent on changing to
> Ubuntu 7.04 and you are now ready to carry on with your usual activities
> using your super-duper, up to date Ubuntu. Let's have a look at the news
> items - oh dear (or similar language) where have all my Pan files gone
> and why must I now setup the software all over again. Fortunately, I
> know where and how to ask questions and the only way to recover the
> situation was to uninstall the new Pan and reinstall the version of Pan
> that was supplied with Ubuntu 6.10. Next, I need to scan some drawings
> to prepare some teaching material. More expletives, my scanner will not
> work. I discover that it is because the new kernel will no longer
> support USB scanners of the sort I use which worked perfectly for me
> ever since the early days of Ubuntu. So now, every time I need to use my
> scanner I have to reboot my system and select the version of the kernel
> which was supplied with Ubuntu 6.10. There may be other examples of
> which I am not aware because I do not use them.
>
> There are many more examples which have affected the use of computers in
> my household directly attributable to earlier upgrades of Ubuntu. I
> really want to use Ubuntu so I put up with these difficulties and try to
> get help to solve the problems but, if I had to pay for Ubuntu, I would
> be there asking for my money back. To those of you who have been using
> Linux for many years, these problems I have quoted are mere fleabites
> but, to the non-technical user they are totally unacceptable.
>
> I was accused recently of trying to bring some realism into the work on
> the leaflet and I am very happy to accept that comment. We must not lose
> sight of the fact that it will be much easier to lose Ubuntu users if
> things unexpectedly stop working than it will be to encourage new users.
> How you deal with this I leave to the professionals I am merely putting
> a point of view.
>
> Norman

I concur with your view, and sympathise, counting myself fortunate
that so far - as far as I know, I have not had similar problems,
though I do have an important machine with a scanner - via usb -
rarely used, I will need to check it. When I have time.

I am a non expert, handing out leaflets, smiles and CDs and basic
advice. I am aware that many ordinary problems would need the group or
forum to sort out. I could not. So the users I encourage will have to
become independent quickly because they will soon exceed my own knowledge.

People I see at computer fairs are already slightly adventurous, and
could use a forum. Others can be non technical to say the least, and
the situation could become counterproductive.

I can install, and support, a small number of less technically minded
friends for simple PC use, but I could not support more widely even
though I like the idea in principle.

(I look forward to the next LTS version).
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391