Josh Blacker wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Got a text from a friend earlier asking if she bought a new desktop
> from dell with Ubuntu, would she be able to use all her old files etc.
> I explained that yes Ubuntu can deal with jpgs (she was worried she
> wouldn't be able to see all her photos!) and OpenOffice is compatible
> with .doc formats and so on - but was stumped by the question of her
> iPod. (She was most thrilled that not only does Azureus run on Linux,
> but that Ubuntu has a built-in torrent client, but that's another
> matter).

ktorrent has got very good in the last year or two

> I explained that the necessary codecs for mp3s and so on are easy to
> install if of dubious legality (I guess they aren't pre-loaded on the
> Dells, or are they?),

I do not think so, but easy to install an d 7.04 makes it easier too.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
is relevant

> but I must admit I have no idea about managing
> an iPod from Ubuntu. I have most of the songs I want on mine anyway,
> and still dual-boot so can use iTunes when need be.

Amarok (again kde libraires but no problem) is very sophisticated and
is certainly worth considering

Alternatives to itunes will I suspect be effective in their various
ways but the trick if any might be to be able to use the apple itunes
  databases, and when I last looked into it, it seemed that it might
be possible to convert maybe one way but not back again, but I  am not
sure.

good luck
--
alan cocks