On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 12:28 +0100, Eddie Armstrong wrote:
> Having read the submission by the Global Institute  (PDF)
> <http://www.globalisation.eu/publications/unbundlingmicrosoftwindows.pdf>
> and this scary bit of nonsense Linux to finally kill Windows'
> <http://diary.bluemango.in/?p=110>(who wrote this - anybody know?), I'm
> wondering if Ubuntu-UK should add it's weight to this argument and
> submit an 'informed' opinion to the debate.
> What do we think about this proposal?
>
> My personal, unbiased opinion (to be qualified later): Is "Yes! Yes!
> Yes! Go for it, Yerp!!!!" but then I've always been the quiet type :-)
> Eddie
I haven't read the rest of the thread, so i don't know if this has already been
suggested, but I think OEMs should be allowed to ship the free, unlicensed 30
day trial of windows with computers, but that they should have to sell actual
licenses separately. Then we're happy because we don't have to pay for windows,
and windows users are happy because they only need to type in a registration
key. Oh and we're also happy because it makes windows users realise just how
much they're actually paying for windows. Shops are happy because they can
advertise the computer at a lower price.