My grandmother uses Ubuntu "Gutsy Gibbon" and has done so since sometime in
August. The reason is simple, really. I provide her with all the technical
support she needs and I decided that I shouldn't have to provide her with
support for an OS that I no longer used.

The transition was very smooth and, after the initial learning phase, she
doesn't need my help very often. She used Firefox prior to the switch so the
only major difference for her is Open Office instead of MS Office 2003. If
anything she's found the Office transition easier than me (I'm speaking as
someone who puts a lot on the UI).

Now I can upgrade her system for her from anywhere in the house on my
notebook through SSH. I only wish I could get my mother to switch to Ubuntu
Linux but this doesn't seem possible in her situation. Ubuntu is only
suitable as an OS for people with broadband internet connections whilst she
is still stuck in a remote location with 28kbps!