On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:59:13AM +0100, Stephen O'Neill wrote:
> Hmmm, not sure about using version control... I'm a programmer so I'm
> happy to use it but not sure if it would be a barrier to others. That
> said we're only talking about a couple of commands here. Wikis do store
> revision history so perhaps that will suffice... depends what extra
> formats we want to store etc - guess that's a question for Al as he's
> the customer.

I discussed this at length with Dave earlier, and came to the conclusion
that bzr/launchpad would be a good way to go with this. We came up with a
comprehensive but simple how-to to get someone up and running. I've tested
it in a clean install of Ubuntu and it works nicely. It takes no more than 5
mins to setup the environment (including registering an email account and a
launchpad account!). Once setup it's a very nice way to manage this and
makes for a very easy way for multiple people to contribute. Later tonight
I'll tidy up the how-to, and if I get time, make a screencast of it too.

I appreciate that the idea of using bzr/launchpad (or a version control
system in general) might put some people off contributing, but I hope we can
overcome any worries on that score with a comprehensive set of
documentation. Of course when I say "comprehensive documentation" people are
probably going to think "oh jeez, I thought I could just open a text editor
and go!", well you basically can, if you invest 5 mins up front to setup the
environment.

Cheers,
Al.