I bought an inspiron 6400 with ubuntu preloaded back in the ubuntu
feisty days (about 1.5 years ago). I'm afraid I'm gonna have to agree
- their build quality is poor, as is their support. I'm not going to
deny that my laptop does take a bit of a beating being carried to and
from school every day, but this is a bit ridiculous: the left speaker
doesnt work, I've had to replace the keyboard after several keys
stopped working, the clip at the top of the screen jams, the screen's
hinges wobble, the CD drive keeps falling out, the xD card reader
doesnt work, the power cable fell apart (had to buy a new one), the
hard drive failed once - devouring my maths coursework (luckily i had
an only slightly out of date backup), the battery's at 63% and falling
of its nominal capacity (55.3 Wh compared to the 86.6 Wh that i payed
for), the bluetooth doesnt work, the carry bag's disintegrated, and
the heatsink has a kinder bueno wrapper in it.
Ok maybe the last one's my fault, but you get the idea
When i phoned customer suppeort for a replacement hard drive, i think
i spent a total of about an hour on hold, and got sent from department
to department... ubuntu support, hardware support, ubuntu support
again, back to hardware support, please hold, ubuntu support... etc
etc
Eventually the replacement hard drive came, in a cardboard box
sandwiched between two bits of foam. Good thing i'm a techie sort of
person. I know a lot of people who, if they were given a hard drive in
a box, wouldnt have a clue what to do with it.
Perhaps thats because its an ubuntu laptop? The idea that all linux
users know how to replace a hard drive, upgrade ram, reformat a disk
or whatever needs to stop if linux is to be accepted by the wider
community, and not just geeks.