On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 21:17 +0100, Jon Taylor wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’m looking for some information. My father in law is looking to buy a
> laptop and broadband dongle. We’ve (sort of) found a laptop that we’re
> going to put Jaunty onto but I’d like to know if there are any ISP’s
> we should look at and also any we should avoid?
>
> Also are there issues with dongles and Ubuntu or is it going to be
> plain sailing? Please bear in mind that this is going to be for a
> recently retired person who has only ever had MS OS’s so he definitely
> won’t understand terminal or other technical stuff. I’ll probably be
> the one setting it all up for him.
>
> I’d be really grateful for any advice and/or warnings of potential
> hazards.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jon

Hi,

I use t-mobile (Huawei dongle) on laptops that 8.04 and up on. I have no
real issues using it bar one. To get 30 days of broadband at the fixed
£15 (3Gb download limit, but allows to to browse even when exceeded and
blocks downloads between 4pm and midnight) you have to SMS from the
device after purchasing the top up which makes you reliant on t-mobiles
Windows software. :-(

Regards

Phil