>> Most of the dongles are plug and play, I'm not sure about the
>> Vodaphone one though, as the field has developed so quickly, then the
>> drivers aren't in Ubuntu yet for the most modern ones.
>
> The Vodafone K3565 works OK on Jaunty but I did need
> to change some of the default settings in Network
> Manager.
>
> One you've plugged it in and created a 'Vodafone
> (pre-pay)' entry, edit the settings to change the APN
> to 'pp.internet' and restrict the allowed authentication
> methods to:
>
> PAP
> CHAP
> MSCHAP v2

Back in the murky depths of time I wrote this tutorial on getting a 3G
USB modem to work with Ubuntu using the Vodaphone connect drivers.
I've not used this for a while but it *might* still be relevant today.

http://www.justuber.com/blog/2008/06/25/setting-up-your-huawei-e220-3g-usb-modem-on-ubuntu-three-uk/

Chris