On 07/04/10 01:28, John Matthews wrote:
> I just got myself an iPhone today, and was wondering, is there software
> fort it on Ubuntu? If so can somebody point me in the right direction?
> Hopefully for a novice to install.

Hi John,

I doubt that you will very find much available for the iPhone that works
on Ubuntu.

The more I see of Apple and their products the more I dislike them. They
make Microsoft look quite friendly in terms of lock-in and closing-off
opportunities to develop and explore.

It is a constant battle of reverse engineering just to get music players
to talk to each successive generation of iPod and their app store has
very stringent terms. The iPhone is effective controlled and owned by
Apple, not you. They can remove apps, lock-it down (and probably worse)
without your consent.

It might look nice and work well but I value freedom.

I'm sure Google will throw up some stuff if you look for it but Apple
are really *not* very friendly to the FOSS world.

We are looking at getting some new smartphones for our company - they
will be Android based. The iPhone is banned.

Alan

--
The Open Learning Centre
http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com