On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 11:53:17 +0100, Tony Travis <a.tra...@abdn.ac.uk>
wrote:
> Now you're running 10.04, you can use the disk utility to check the
> health of your disks, System/Administration/Disk Utility. Have a look
> at the SMART data for your internal disk. Bye, Tony.

P.S.: It passed a memory test lasting an hour which I ran from GRUB
yesterday morning, before and after which it could not load Ubuntu. So
to me that suggests something other than a hardware issue; hence my
thoughts about the file directory 'disintegrating' at a software level,
as Al warned might happen at some future point after my foray into sudo
nautilus several months ago.