Thanks Alan - it's easier than reinstalling the whole laptop! I fiddled
for all of 5 mins with IP setups but got impatient and just ripped out
the network-manager thinking it'd make life easier in the long-term. The
wretched access point was actually on the same subnet as my laptop - IP
192.168.1.xx cos I'd changed it previously so my attention must've
lapsed elsewhere.

What you describe is what I used to do in the days when the network
manager didn't have a mind of its own so I'm guessing I could've got it
to work if I had just stuck with it instead of cursing the network
manager  ;)

On the good side, a newly-flashed ProCurve is now doing what it ought to
and I have a lovely fresh installation of Lucid on my laptop <grin>

Paula