On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 15:26:58 +0100, Rob Beard <r...@esdelle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 04/08/10 12:26, Rowan Berkeley wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 11:53:17 +0100, Tony
> Travis<a.tra...@abdn.ac.uk>
> > wrote:
> >> Now you're running 10.04, you can use the disk utility to check the
> >> health of your disks, System/Administration/Disk Utility. Have a
> >> look at the SMART data for your internal disk. Bye, Tony.
> >
> > I looked at the SMART data, and the only warning entry was that
> > overheating "has occurred in the past," which they say is a sign of
> > "old-age." The computer is only just over a year old, i.e., just out
> > of guarantee. So not much to be done about that, but thanks. Rowan.
> >
> Luckily hard drives aren't too expensive.  Chances are since it's only
> about a year old it'll have a SATA hard drive in there.  You can get
> 2.5" SATA hard drives reasonably cheap, I got a 320GB one for about
> £40 a couple of months ago, I believe they're a bit cheaper now
> depending what size you want. Rob

Um, well, overall SMART says it's OK. I have got everything running
again normally now anyway, though I cannot get the pleasant sandy brown
window borders I had before. I've even got PiTiVi working again; it was
just a matter of finding the right container for flv video and mp3 audio
on the rearranged menu. Incidentally, the reinstallation from the Live
CD achieved what I had been asking about previously, viz repartitioning
the hard drive so as to get the unused extra space on it available. It
now has one giant partition almost all the way along it, with the swap
partition at the very end, this being the Live CD's default partitioning
scheme. Thanks, Rowan.