Alan

Yes you're right -  there are in fact Ubuntu/Canonical web design guidelines in
the pdf linked from here

http://design.canonical.com/the-toolkit/guides-for-websites/

I would use the page header top level nav detailed in the pdf - so it's similar

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://design.canonical.com/

You can then put links to section such as blog, about, etc on the left hand
side
in the top level nav as in the above sites.

If you're going to have a standard right hand column throughout the site I
would
put the podcast logo/link in there, as I think the podcast logo is too dominant
on the beta.

I could do some work on this, but I'm currently busy on other stuff.

Cheers

 --
Tony Scott
http://tonyscott.org.uk | http://twitter.com/tonys | http://uk.wordcamp.org