On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 21:22 +0000, Dianne Reuby wrote:
> If it's two years old, and he hasn't upgraded, will it be pre-Unity? As
> I've never used a netbook, only Ubuntu on desktops and laptops, will I
> be able to find my way around it?

Back then, Tesco sold a model with Ubuntu - I think it may have been a
Dell.  If so, Dell used 8.04 that was customised by Dell.  It was a bit
like 10.04 Netbook Remix, but not quite the same.  If it is, I have a CD
that Dell sent that I could post an ISO of.  I put 10.04 Netbook Remix
on my Dell Mini 10v the day I got it.  Quite nice.

With regard to breaking it.  Why not make a USB stick or SD card from
CloneZilla?  You can make an image (to another card) of the entire drive
on the NetBook before starting.  That way you can restore to the
original if you break it.  Also, he may have had a CD with an image
supplied when he bought it.  Maybe talk him through copying the output
from sudo lshw and e-mailing it to you before you go further?

Regards,                Barry.
http://ubuntuadverts.org/