Sorry just repeating my question as it might have got lost in the thread:

It seems if you add a new ssh key into seahorse it always generates a file
called "id_rsa.pub" and "id_rsa", renaming old ones to .1 etc, is that
correct?

When you generate your keys is it always done as the user you are logged in
as? For example my user name on my machine might be "curtis" but I may want
to create a username login on my friends machine as "support" is that
possible and still able to generate a key?

Thanks