Hi all,

I posted this on the forums yesterday, but haven't had much luck. I
was wondering if anyone here could help.

I am trying to set up dual monitors in Ubuntu, with the two monitors
having different resolutions. One monitor is on my laptop and the
other is an external monitor. I have an ATI Radeon express 200m doing
the graphics. For the two monitors i would like to have one showing at
1280x800 and the other at 1280x1024. At the moment the resolution has
defaulted to 1024x768.

I have seen a number of threads detailing this problem, but none seem
to solve my issue. Here is a run down of how far i have gotten on
different fronts.

1. Talks about editing xorg.conf.
- The problem here is that i don't seem to have an xorg.conf file in
/usr/share/X11. When I "locate xorg.conf" in the terminal i get:

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-evdev-quirks.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-vmmouse.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-wacom.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/51-synaptics-quirks.conf
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-nouveau/examples/xorg.conf
/usr/share/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.gz

As such i am not sure which file to try and edit.

2. Try changing resolution on one of the monitors in
~/.config/monitors.xml, which is where i got the unity dock to only
show on the primary monitor.
- Here, after i saved the changes to ~/.config/monitors.xml, and
logged out, i got an error message saying  that the resolution would
not work as i logged in. Both monitors then came up as they were
initially. When i looked at ~/.config/monitors.xml, i saw that the
resolutions had reverted back to what they were originally.

3. Talks about editing xrandr, linking to this page
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-change...ng-xrandr.html
- This looks incredibly intimidating and i can't really work out what
to do in my case. Any advice would be much appreciated.

4. I think is a GUI method for the solution offered by 3 (above). This
involves trying to 'configure display settings' in 'monitor
preferences'. Here i can change the resolution of each monitor quite
easily. This works and the resolution is perfect. The problem though
is once i have set the resolution to what i want for both monitors,
they begin to behave strangely. Most notable is that when i close
things they don't disappear off the screen (although they appear to
have closed), the unity dock smears on the screen when it minimizes
and mouse pointer labels show up and then don't disappear.

So i am now stumped. If anyone can tell me either how to sort the
resolution, interpret the xrandr instructions or fix the screen
smearing i would be very grateful.

Thanks,

james.